Sunday 20 January 2008

Insomnia

Why is an accountant writing drivel in her blogs in the early hours when everyone knows the hours of darkness are best suited to preparing tax returns? My excuse is that I'm waiting for the wretched things to print. Despite online filing the tax system is still responsible for arboricide. OK, now I'm making words up.

This particular rant is about keywords. SEO (Search Engine Optimisation for the uninitiated and those who have a proper job)is the great god of internet marketing and it requires that you include the right keywords in your articles. Why? So that when people search on "nice smelling lotion to be rubbed on bald heads" they can find the site on which you just happen to be selling that for $19.99 or $17.97 or whatever the latest psychological price breakpoint is. Actually that phrase is of the type known as long-tailed keywords. It's a Good Thing since it doesn't cost much to pay for Pay Per Click advertising for it. Er, Hello, that's because no-one ever types it into a search engine.

I ignore keywords and will be burned at the internet marketing stake for doing so. I refuse point blank to bastardise my writing by throwing in just the right sprinkling (not too much, not too little...) of abominable keywords. I write what I like. People who are interested in what I have to say can find me and my articles. People who are not interested in what I have to say will find me on forums anyway.

Now, by rights, the title of this post should be something like "the efficient use of keywords for SEO purposes". I thought Insomnia" was more appropriate. I will, however, be a hypocrite and put the word keywords in the post labels. Just in case they use the ducking stool before burning me at the stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment